Where did the idea for the brand come from?
Vapour grew out of a desire to create color cosmetics that embody qualities we value. Namely, cosmetics that perform like a conventional brand but actually nourish the skin and support wellness. Kristine and I share a common vision of bringing integrity and joy to women through an experience of their own unique beauty. –Krysia Boinis, Vapour co-founder
How did you choose the name?
The word Vapour truly just popped into my head the way inspiration does. Vapour resonated for me and Krysia each for our own reasons. For her it spoke to the distillate of perfumes and for me it was about the mists I have always painted. For both of us it relates to the way we want our products to exist - lightly and sustainably on the earth, bringing etheric light to the skin, and with a connection to that mysterious and poetic process of distilled plant essences. –Kristine Keheley, Vapour co-founder
I'm curious about your clean swaps page you go head to head with big box brands - how did the idea develop and have you received any negative feedback from it?
Our "clean swaps" page developed after hearing over and over that our products were being used by Pro Make Up Artists to replace some of their favorite conventional cosmetics. We have not received any negative feedback regarding our "clean swaps" page. I think it's because we are not saying anything negative about any of the other products or brands. We are just offering our alternatives.–Krysia
How did you both meet?
We've been working together since 2000. I started in production in Krysia and her partner's natural lip balm company. After about a year I got interested in formulating and found a natural vein of talent. I began an experimental process of extending our product offerings from natural lip care into cosmetics and skin care. In 2008 Krysia and I started creating Vapour together. We collaborate on the branding vision and our desire for Vapour to be an inclusive and progressive company. –Kristine
Tell us about your personal skincare and makeup routine. Where you a makeup junkie prior to starting the brand?
1) Exfoliation is the first step to fresh and radiant skin. I exfoliate my face about every other day alternating physical exfoliation (Clairsonic) with chemical exfoliation (using natural hydroxyl acids from fruits like papaya.
2) Then in the palm of my hand I mix a small amount of L-ascorbic acid powder (vitamin C) with a few drops of floral water (right now it’s calendula water from flowers from my garden) and massage it into my skin. Applied topically, vitamin C promotes collagen formation and diminishes the effects of free radicals, helping to maintain firm and youthful skin. Vitamin C degrades quickly when mixed with other ingredients so I prefer to use it straight and mix it on the spot. A capsule of L-ascorbic acid nutritional supplement is a great source of straight Vitamin C.
3) I apply Vapour Essence Restorative Treatment to deeply moisturize, nourish and feed my skin with my favorite organic plant oils and algae extracts.
4) This next step is the bridge between skin care and cosmetics: I apply Vapour Stratus Skin Perfecting Primer which further moisturizes and feeds my skin while also providing optical skin smoothing and illumination.
5) Last I apply Vapour Atmosphere Foundation to even everything out and finish with Vapour Halo Illuminator on brow bone and cheekbones. My mom taught me to create skincare from plants and vitamins in the kitchen! I have fond memories of making masks and treatments with her. –Krysia
How does Taos influence the final products?
Taos is a natural beauty. There is a unique energy and light here. The sky itself is intoxicating. Taos also has a rich history of ancient and multi-cultural traditions that mingle with inventors, free–thinkers and artists. The result is a creative atmosphere with soulful depth, natural beauty and a sense of place and time. Taos is Vapour’s muse and allows me to be expansive and open to innovation. It is a source of inspiration for all of us. –Krysia It's a profound place. The light and landscape inspire me daily. The sustainable and creative values of the community are powerful reminders of the high bar we set for ourselves, and Vapour products. –Kristine
What is your favorite product?
Essence Restorative + Stratus Skin Perfecting Primer + Atmosphere Foundation = My best skin. I love all three. –Krysia Atmosphere Luminous Foundation. It's what started this for me. Atmosphere Luminous fills in fines lines and makes my skin look perfect. –Kristine
How do you relax and unwind after a long and hectic day?
I often unwind at the end of the day with a sunset walk. Fresh Taos mountain air and expansive desert views ground me into the present and I move into gratitude. The stressors of the day evaporate. It works every time. –Krysia